Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day: 2

This is a picture of a tire swing near my house and I decided to take a picture of it while I was walking my dog because it reminded me of a pendulum! Although this tire swing looks a lot like a pendulum, I see that there is one key thing that probably makes it very different although I'm not positive! This is the fact that this tire swing, as compared to the pendulums we worked with in class, has three "strings" as the pendulums had one. I am not sure if this would affect the length of period as we tested in class but it is something that would be interesting to experiment. Also, before we tested each of the variables for the lab, we each had to make a hypothesis on what we thought the results would be. When I did this, I thought that the relationship between mass and period length would be directly proportional and was pretty confident about it. I soon learned that this was an incorrect hypothesis and that in reality, mass and period length have no relationship which was a pretty big surprise to me. Now I know that no matter the mass of the person sitting on the tire swing, the period should theoretically stay the same!

5 comments:

  1. That would be a cool experiment! i love tire swings too!!! and the no relationship thing was a super big surprise to me too!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wonder if it changed things because of the three strings. I would guess so because it makes it swing differently. Lets all get tire swings and try it out! But dont worry I thought I was right about my hypothesis too and it was totally wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was pretty confident about my hypothesis too. It's surprising that mass and periods have no relationship. My siblings and I tried to make our own swing out of rope, and we all jumped on it at once...not the smartest thing to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you observed this swing on your walk and related it to physics, that's really cool, instead of just staring at the ground. I had the same hypothesis as you, and it was surprising to find out that it was wrong. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I love that we all thought the same thing and were able to learn! Can't wait to get to know everyone over the next 6 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete