Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day: 6

Today, we learned a lot about acceleration and in this process, we were also able to learn a lot about gravity! We also learned that when a ball is thrown up, and when it is moving in an upward motion, it still has gravity pushing down it which means that it also has a downward acceleration and this was pretty surprising to me! I always thought that acceleration was always in the same motion as the object was moving but today I was proved wrong and I found that really interesting. When I got home, I decided to go in the pool and I was throwing a water polo ball around and realized that this was just what we learned about in physics! The picture above is of my water polo ball landing in the water and from what I learned today, the reason that the water is splashing is because the ball is coming down with force and that force is there because of gravity, and the gravity is the reason that at almost all times, there is a downward acceleration on everything on earth no matter the actual direction of motion of the object. I thought today's lesson, although challenging, was pretty fun!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice picture. And dropping it in water is a good way to see that the ball hits the water with force, because of the splash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that the acceleration was in the direction the object was moving. It AWESOME that you could relate it to your life and your lucky you have a pool hah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool picture. I like the creativity and the use of the information in class to show your understanding.

    ReplyDelete